2020年2月1日星期六

Request for Advice: Adding a shower head to a bathroom that only has a tub

Hi there, DIY noob here aiming to make my first home improvement. I'd like to add a shower to the guest bathroom in my condo that only has a tub. I think my two options are:

  1. Open the wall and install an in-wall shower head via some plumbing wizardry.
  2. Swap in a new tub spout that includes a diverter and install an external shower head that feeds from it.

I'm leaning towards the latter because it seems like a much more achievable goal for someone as inexperienced as me, and hopefully I'd be able to do it without shutting off the water (which can only be done for the whole building, unfortunately).

I'm wondering where to get started. I want to replace the existing siding above the tub, and know that the walls above that will need to be tiled for waterproofing as well. Should I handle that before or after installing the shower head? Do I need to prepare the walls for tiling in some way, like coating them with some sort of waterproofing paint, or can I just tile over them (note, they don't have any wallpaper or anything like that)? What about the ceiling? Does the shower head need to be drilled into a stud for support?

Are there any other options / recommendations / things in general that I should be thinking about or will wish I had thought of after all is said and done? I'm eventually planning on renovating the rest of the bathroom as well, but this seems like the most impactful starting point.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Images: https://imgur.com/a/BUISans

submitted by /u/tehmacbuk
[link] [comments]

from DIY https://ift.tt/37NBbPG

没有评论:

发表评论