2020年4月6日星期一

Type of retaining wall - stanchion vs deadman

Hi there, was hoping for input on what TYPE of timber retaining wall I should be building.

Currently, my basement is a step out. There is a concrete footing with one wall being the foundation of the house and basement door, two walls being vertical concrete, and the last side being steps out to ground level. There are a total of 2 steps. The total height from concrete footing to ground level is around 2 feet.

Is there a reason to go with a stanchion style (vertical 4x4s or 6x6s set in a concrete footing in front of horizontal boards like 2x8s providing the actual "wall") vs the deadman style being stacks of 4x4s or 6x6s with intermixed deadmen extending into the dirt behind the wall.

I plan on doing either one the best way I can. Properly excavating to a good depth, tamping, gravel, drainage, ground contact rated PT wood, etc but I didn't know if the deadman style was better for walls that needed to hold back a lot more dirt and the stanchion style was a better and cheaper option for walls that didn't need to hold back as much dirt?

My research lacked showing me the utility of one vs the other. I saw many short deadmen style walls and I saw some stanchion style walls that used giant braces and were 5+ feet high so a clear winner in one case or the other was not noticeable for me. I've looked into all kinds of retaining walls quite a bit - I'm fairly well familiar with designs and styles and pitfalls and pearls of wisdom for these walls. I know I want to do a wood wall so that I can stain it to match my deck which it'll be right by but I need some more input on which type.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Mr_brighttt
[link] [comments]

from DIY https://ift.tt/2UP5KjC

没有评论:

发表评论