2020年4月4日星期六

Help - Reno'ing Stairs

Hi all,

So I'm working on reno'ing my front entryway, and part of the plan is to redo my stairs. Unfortunately the currenty stairs have this curved tread/riser on them, and then carpet over top. I’ve stripped one staircase to see what it’s all about. Here is a photo of what was underneath.

https://imgur.com/a/QeRxafN

Stairs before I stripped off the carpet:

https://imgur.com/a/WkIZa2D

My apologies if I get any terminology wrong. My plan was to pull up one of the treads to see what kind of framing is beneath/behind the curved risers and decide if I can just pry off the risers and easily install new flat risers as well as new treads that are straight.

Now that I have it all apart I see the treads curve and go right into the stringers on each side. Does this mean I need to remove those wall stringers in order to remove a tread and learn more? And is there any real challenges or dangers in removing the stringers on each side? Are they more decorative than structural, and there’s other structural stringers beneath the treads doing that part of the work?

Any other thoughts, advice etc is welcome. I’m up for anything. Whether that’s finding a great carpet to redo this with, or removing every tread/riser and replacing with new ones that aren’t curved. I think it’s pretty clear I can’t refinish the current treads/risers as they are plywood so the front of each bullnose end cap shows the layers of the plywood.

Thanks again for any insight.

submitted by /u/Chef-Andrew
[link] [comments]

from DIY https://ift.tt/2JDoYCz

没有评论:

发表评论