2019年8月25日星期日

Simple attic insulation rehab?

So we bought a new house and it has a cheaply built "cottage" in the backyard. I'm trying to rehab it as a home office.

First thing I ran into was a bad ceiling & attic insulation. Crumbling drywall, water damage, mold, multiple layers of old material that had settled down to about 4-6". So ripped it all out. 🤢😖😁 Roof deck, underlayment and shingles were also redone only a couple of years ago.

After a few electrical improvements, I'm considering my insulation options. It's a simple 26x14 building. 2x4 Rafters with 1x4 king posts every 48" and three rows of 2x4 running the length.

No ridge vent or soffits, just a Gable vent on each end.

I'm in Kansas City, Missouri. DOE recommends R38-R60 in attics around here. We have pretty hot muggy summer and cold wet winters! Yay.

I don't really have the budget for open cell spray foam. But I still want this to last 20+ years. I also really don't like the idea of blown in because I really want to be able to go up there and make future modification and maybe a little storage. So a partial floor or catwalk is needed. So obviously fiberglass Batts is an option. I hate dealing with fiberglass install though...What about mineral wool? Rigid foam? Would I see much difference? What about vapor barrier? And should I take the opportunity to add more joists? I need this to be reasonably budget-friendly buts it's a small space so I have some flexibility... thoughts?

submitted by /u/stephenabrock
[link] [comments]

from DIY https://ift.tt/2ZnbJLT

没有评论:

发表评论