2019年8月25日星期日

New ceiling fan in an older home. Odd outlet box?

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to draw on the knowledge of those more experienced than me.

My GF and I just bought our first home in Cleveland. It's an older home (~100yrs), but it's been kept in good condition. That said, every home improvement project we take on seems to run into speed bumps having to do with the age of the home, and the differences in building practices/materials between when it was built and today.

Most recently, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in our office. It's on the second floor, and it will be replacing an overhead light. The problem is that the old outlet box appears to be of an odd design (see photo) that includes some sort of cross bar going through it from one side to the other. The bar is embedded in the rock-like material of which the ceiling is comprised (I mentioned that we're new to this stuff, right?).

I am taking on the project based primarily on knowledge gained from YouTube, and the assurance of our homeowner friends that this is the sort of thing we can handle ourselves. Have I bitten off more than I can chew? How do I replace that outlet box without tearing apart the ceiling? Is that style of box strong enough to support the ~35lbs required for a moving ceiling fan? Do I need a contractor or something for this?

Thank you in advance for any feedback that you'd be able to provide.

submitted by /u/Ace0fFace1
[link] [comments]

from DIY https://ift.tt/2KUczLQ

没有评论:

发表评论