2020年5月28日星期四

Save me from buying a track saw!

I'm being an idiot, I'll admit that right up front. But ripping sheet goods is making me hate my life. I used to always just suffer through cutting on my table saw. Terrible, but not the least accurate way I have cross cut sheets. I made some fairly successful cuts by doing a ton of setup work and clamping two levels, one on each side of the shoe of my P+C 18v saw. Which admittedly is under-powered for the job. But then a friend mentioned Harbor Freight has these $20 clamp on straight edges. Convenient, but I've never made crappier cuts in my life. So now I'm just like "F it, a cheap track saw can only be an improvement!"

Options I'm considering:

  1. Cheap track saw. Like the Wen.
  2. Giving up and getting over my resistance to cutting on the ground on a sheet of insulation. Hate the idea of storing and wasting insulation, but people seem happy with it.
  3. Getting a better straight guide, like a Bora NGX or a Kreig.
  4. P+C seems to be end of life, so I might as well start switching to a new tool system by plunking down $450 of the Makita 36V track saw, right? I mean, I make into the double digits of circ saw cuts a year, so it'll probably pay off in my lifetime, right?
  5. Make darn sure I over-cut, and then trim down using the table saw, and deal with the waste that my Tesla-driving-but-frugal-about-plywood ass will generate.
  6. Build a 1-axis CNC using aluminum extrusion to make the cuts for me. Robots with spinning blades, what could possibly go wrong?
  7. Some other clearly optimal solution I'm just not considering...
submitted by /u/jafo
[link] [comments]

from DIY https://ift.tt/2ZO6Ijk

没有评论:

发表评论