2020年3月25日星期三

Vertically-moving shoe shelf

Hi guys - I'm not sure if this is the right subreddit to post for advice, but I've been trial-and-erroring this vertically-moving shoe shelf for my mom's place for a while and I think it'd be helpful to get some advice from someone who may have built or done something similar.

Basically, my mom has a stair landing/corner area leading up to her place, and she wanted to make use of the wasted space up near the ceiling and put some shelving there for shoes. Rather than a static shelf (hard to reach!), we thought a shelf that could move up (storage!) and down (accessible!) would be a great use of that space.

I tried to find something off-the-shelf, but couldn't find anything besides big motorized shelves for garage storage, or swing-down type shelving for cabinets. So I tried to build something custom, using a counterweight system with pulleys and heavy-duty drawer slides.

It's definitely been a learning experience.

Here's a video of it currently working:
https://imgur.com/a/o6oXsOb

The link also shows a photo of it during an earlier iteration, before all the shelves and shoes were put in, so you can see the basic mechanics. (You can see that I made a mistake in where I mounted some of the pulleys.)

The counterweight that I have in the video is 25lbs -- that makes it easy enough to pull down, but still "hard-ish" to push up. I tried adding another 5lbs and 10lbs and it makes it harder to pull down and easier to push up. It's a tradeoff of course, so somewhere in there is a good counterweight balance and I could certainly add that. BUT taking a step back, the whole thing loaded up has become such a behemoth and harder to push/pull than I originally imagined/wanted.

So that brings me to now -- I'm considering putting in some kind of remote-controlled motor that can wind/unwind cable to lift/lower the shelves instead. I haven't done a lot of searching yet, but thought I'd see if anyone could chime in while I plan my next step.

Thanks for reading.

submitted by /u/jojo6292
[link] [comments]

from DIY https://ift.tt/2UAkkdz

没有评论:

发表评论